image

The iPhone revolutionized the automatic screen rotation with its motion sensor. The display adjusts between landscape and portrait mode promptly depending upon the position, the phone is held.

Prior to iOS 4, there was no way to lock this automatic rotation and sometime it could be annoying, in particular, when you read on the device while laying down. (The iPad, running on iOS 3, has a physical switch for this).

Do you know, in the new iOS 4, iPhone user can easily lock or unlock the automatic screen rotation just by double clicking the home button and slide the bar toward the left , you will find the icon for that function. A status of current setting will then be indicated on the top bar.

Double clicking the home button also allows you quickly to control audio playback, should you have audio app plays in the background. I also find the multitasking bar useful to either switch to different apps or easily launch a recent app, especially the app icon is buried in a hard to find folder.

You can find other iPhone shortcuts HERE!

6 Comments

1. Harold
    Posted September 6, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Thank You guys, I visited a lot of pages trying to find out how unlock it.

2. Greg
    Posted November 14, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

I would say you slide the double-click apps bar to the right to get to the orientation lock button. It’s on the same page as the iPod controls.

Thanks for helping me find this functionality though.

3. Brian
    Posted November 17, 2010 at 10:35 am | Permalink

Thanks for the tip. Very useful.

4. Elwood
    Posted December 5, 2010 at 4:28 am | Permalink

My iPhone will not rotate. What is the problem? Can you help, thank you.

5. Rachel
    Posted January 29, 2011 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

I followed those instructions for my iPhone 3G (os 4.2.1) and it didn’t work.

6. Patty
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

thank you – this has been driving me nuts and your instructions worked.

One Trackback

1. […] Ignore all that! I just found out you can portrait-lock the iPhone itself in iOS4 Understanding iPhone Screen Rotation Lock | SolSie.com […]