NXP Semiconductor, a pioneer in the remote car keyless entry just made available a NFC (Near Field Communication) solution that enables car multi-function using a NFC capable smartphone. — the NCF2970 (KEyLink Lite) is a single-chip solution to install in car. The chip enhances the functionality of car when interacting with a smartphone.
Until now, NFC in smartphone has been know primarily to replace your wallet for mobile payment and NXP extends your phone capability to replace your car keys as well.
Furthermore, along with the solution is the new ‘Smart’ Key Applications: KEyLink Lite can be deployed in five new driver-friendly applications to open up to whole range of possibilities
- Car Finder — The car key records the GPS coordinates of your car’s last parking position, which can later be read by an NFC-compliant mobile phone, which then uses a service such as Google Maps to download a vicinity map and help you locate the car.
- Route Planner — You can enter your destination while sitting comfortably in front of a PC at home and transfer the data into the car key via NFC. Once you are inside the car, your destination will be automatically uploaded to the in-car navigation system. No more stressful finger-tapping on the car navigator screen.
- Car Status and Service Data Management — Before stepping out from your home or office, you can find out how much fuel remains in your car for your next journey by simply waving your car key over your NFC-compliant mobile phone. And, you no longer need to carry your car service history on paper; the important data is saved on your KEyLink Lite-powered ‘smart’ car key.
- Car Self-Diagnosis — Transfer diagnostic data from your car to a PC via the car key, then upload it to a service website and run a diagnostic analysis in seconds.
- Car Personalization — Car manufacturers can pre-fit cars with upgraded services, which can later be unlocked in the field. Obtain permissions from your car manufacturer — for example, by making an online request at home — and store the permission for the new features onto the car key. All new features will be automatically activated the next time you enter the car.