Google Maps just introduced the new Helicopter View in driving directions. The new feature shows the map in an animated aerial 3D view. You’d need to install first, a browser plug-in for Google Map. The view is quite interesting if you want to explore further the surrounding areas of your main itinerary for possible quick detours.
To preview your own route, it is as simple as clicking on a button. Start by entering your starting point, destination, and mode of transport like any directions; in this case, driving directions from ‘Carmel CA to Big Sur CA.’ Then, just click on the “3D” play button. The map will switch to Earth view and automatically start flying you along your recommended route.
As the feature shows a view from an in-flight helicopter, it however allows you to pause the animation by clicking on the display to pan, zoom, drag the map. The flight can be resumed b clicking on the play button located at bottom left of the screen.
Explore these sites that use the Google Maps Browser plug-in:
- Earth view in Google Maps See the 3D globe right in your browser
- Fly Fishing Guide Interactive guide to fishing in the Upper Snake River Basin and Greater Yellowstone Region
- Airspace Awareness Tool Customizable airspace map created by the Kansas Department of Transportation
- Virtual Tour of the USGBCTour the U.S. Green Building Council Headquarters in D.C.
- Apollo 11 Moon Lander Use manual controls to experience the landing phase
- Sports Stadiums Fly around to see stadiums in 3D
- 3D HawaiiExplore this travel destination in 3D
- Driving Simulator Follow your driving directions route in 3D
- Chamonix 3D Tour Tour chalets in the French Alps with a helicopter
- Oil Spill Get a sense of the scale of the Deepwater Horizon spill by comparing it to your city
- Ships Simulator Be the helmsman of your own fleet of ships in this realistic game
- EarthSwoop Swoop into places all over the world