The Canon 5D Mark II has been the preference of prosummer video & photographer for the last four years. But it is time for Canon to renew its famous Mark 5D brand with its latest iteration, the Mark III as an answer to the company rival Nikon D800 and perhaps to its own Canon 1D X.
The Canon 5D Mark III highlights a newly-developed 22.3MP full-frame Canon sensor offers the optimum balance in resolution for shooting stills and Full HD movies. We glad that Canon does not pursue for the race of MegaPixel as in the Nikon D800’s 36.9MP.
For darkness-loving photography, Canon offers an impressive ISO range of 100-25,600, expandable to 102,400, enables photographers to capture crisp, high quality pictures, even in extreme low-light conditions. The Mark III can now shoot full-resolution shots at a whopping ISO 26,500—two stops past the Mark II’s ISO 6400 limit
Photographers can shoot Full HD movies with variable frame rates ranging from 24fps to 50/60fps for longer duration than 12 minute limit.
The 1 DX has two [Digic 5+ processors], and while the 5D Mark III only has one, that one processor is 17 times faster than the Digic 4 powering the 5D Mark II. the 22.3 Megapixel DIGIC 5+ Image Processor and the 61 points of Autofocus summed up the main advantages of the Mark III.
The Canon EOS 5D Mark is getting close as far as features to the more expensive Canon EOS 1DX in a smaller footprint. The Mark III costs $3,500 street price.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III – Key features:
- 22.3 Megapixel full-frame sensor
- 61-point autofocus
- Up to 6fps continuous shooting
- Native ISO 100-25,600 sensitivity
- Full HD video with manual control
- 14-bit DIGIC 5+ processor
- Enhanced Weather sealing
- 8.11cm (3.2-inch) 1,040,000-dot screen
- HDR mode with presets
Other Canon EOS 5D Mark III Specs
- Lens Mount: Canon EF
- Sensor Size: Full-Frame (36 x 24mm)
- Sensor Type: CMOS
- Image Processor: DIGIC 5+ Image Processor
- Resolution: 22.3MP
- File Formats: JPEG and RAW
- Bit Depth: 14-bit
- Continuous Shooting Speed: Up to 6.0 fps (with UDMA CF Card)
- Autofocus Points: 61
- Focus Type: Auto and Manual
- Exposure Metering: iFCL (with 63-zone Dual Layer metering sensor)
- Flash Connection: Hot shoe and PC terminal
- Viewfinder Type Optical pentaprism with superimposed LCD
- Viewfinder Coverage: 100%
- Viewfinder Magnification: 0.71x
- Viewfinder Angle of View: 34.1°
- LCD Monitor: 3.2? 1,040,000 dots
- ISO Sensitivity: 100-25600 (50-102400 in expanded mode)
- Video Recording Formats: 1080/30p (29.97), 24p (23.976), 25p; 720/60p (59.94), 50p; 480/60p (59.94), 50p
[Comparison chart courtesy of Gizmodo]