Today, Apple also announced a series of new and updated Mac models including the 13” Macbook Pro with Retina display; iMacs and Mac Mini. Below are the specs [courtesy of Apple].
Apple introduced a new hybrid (SSD + hard drive) called the fusion drive. Apple’s Fusion Drive allows SSD portion and spinning hard drive portion as separate devices, meaning they can be updated or replaced individually. workloads are moved automatically to the right portion according to usage.
13” Retina Macbook Pro
The 15” Macbook Pro gets a new smaller sibling, the 13” model
- 12.35×8.62×0.75 inches and 3.57lbs in weight. The 13” has half a pound more than the Macbook Air and 1 pound less than the 15” model
- 13” 2560×1600 display at 227 pixels per inch. Virtual resolutions include 1680×1050, 1440×900, and 1024×680.
- 2.5ghz Dual Core Intel Core i5 CPU on both configurations of 13-inchers. A 2.9ghz DC i7 is also available Built to Order.
- 8GB of onboard DDR3L memory.
- 128 or 256GB of flash storage with 512GB or 768GB
- The Ivy Bridge standard Intel 4000HD integrated video
- 720p HD Front FaceTime camera.
- $1699 for the 128GB model, $1999 for 256GB.
- Available now online and in Apple stores starting Thursday the 25th.
The Mac Mini just gets Ivy Bridge CPU and keeps the same casing
- Same 2.5ghz dual core i5 as the 13’ Macbook Pro in the Standard model with a 2.3ghz quad core in the upgraded model. A 2.6ghz quad core i7 is available.
- 500GB and 1TB 2.5” 5400rpm laptop drives. A 1TB Fusion Drive is also available.
- 4GB of DDR3 memory in two SO-DIMMs in both models with 8GB and 16GB BTO options.
- USB3; Thunderbolt.
- $599 Dual core, $799 quad core, $999 server.
iMac 21.5” & 27”
The new iMac carries 21.5” and 27” thinner body
- 21.5” 1920×1080 and 27” 2560×1440 displays
- 2.7ghz-3.4ghz Quad Core Core i5 and i7 CPUs .
- Each model gets a different Nvidia 6xxM video chipset. 512mb 640M, 650M, 660M, and a 1GB 675MX in the highest end model.
- 8GB of memory of the 21.5” model with 16GB BTO on both models and 32GB on the 27” model. The smaller model’s DIMM slots are NOT user serviceable. The 27” inch has 4 user serviceable DIMM slots. So, if you want to upgrade, buy the 27”, Period.
- 1TB 5400rpm laptop drive with a Fusion Drive available in the 21.5” model. The 27” uses 7200rpm desktop drives in 1TB-3TB sizes in both normal and fusion drives or a 768GB flash drive.
- 4 USB3, 2 Thunderbolts
- 4 models at $1299, $1499, $1799, and $1999.
- 21.5” models available in November, 27” in December.