After it was tipped off yesterday, Google Maps for iPhone has officially come back to the iOS App store to satisfy many users who experienced issues with the controversial native Apple Maps.
Similar to its YouTube app, the comeback marks a much improved usability application with voice guided turn-by-turn navigation, public transportation, faster rendering with vector based graphics, etc…
The voice guide navigation works in both foreground and background mode. The Google-Now voice sounds more human than Siri. With Siri, The destination entry can not yet be done using voice like Siri integration with Apple Maps.
During navigation mode, you can swipe the top banner to see subsequent turns. Tap on the bottom bar to see the reaming distance as well as estimated arrival time to the destination.
The user interface follows the latest visual and intuitive enhancements from other Google properties. The entire screen real estate is dedicated to map view. The obvious search box is used to locate locations as well as nearby businesses [just hit the bottom right corner arrow to locate your location and enter restaurants in the search box]. Slide up the bottom info-sheet area to related related information including Street view – swipe left or right to browse the info-sheet. You can save the location as favorite or share with various choices, etc… .
Toggle from flat 2D to slight angled view is done by tapping the arrow icon located at bottom right corner. [The app doesn’t seem yet to support 3D view similar to Apple Maps] – Tap op the 3 dot bar at bottom right or swipe from right to left with two fingers reveals some Maps options including the launch of Google Earth app for dynamic satellite imaging of the selected location.
Apple native Maps app is still the standard on your iDevices, meaning tapping on an address from an email to take you to the native app.
- Find addresses, places and businesses around the world with Google local search.
- Discover places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and local reviews.
- Sign in to sync your searches, directions, and favorite places between your computer and your phone.
- Get voice guided, turn-by-turn driving directions.
- Find your way by train, bus, subway or walking directions.
- Access live traffic information in cities across the world.
Street View and imagery
- View 360-degree panoramas of places around the globe with Street View.
- See inside more than 100,000 businesses worldwide.
- View high resolution satellite imagery of locations around the world.
Simple and easy to use
- An entirely new Google Maps experience on your iPhone.
- Newly designed and streamlined interface for even easier navigation of your world.
- Use gestures to explore the map and browse results.