If you work in a cubicle and have the need to leave your working post frequently, Predator has a quick and cool way to lock and unlock your computer with your USB Flash drive as literally, the real key without the need of entering a password… (Well, unless you lose your USB drive).
Download the Predator software to an USB Flash Drive and execute the program. Just leave the USB plugged-in while you are at your desk. As soon as you unplug the drive, the computer locks itself. When you are back, just plug it back in and resume your work. Without the USB drive, any attempt to gain access, the program lets the user enter the password during a short time before ringing alarm and it will invoke the camera, if your computer has one, to snap a photo of the intruder as well as producing a log entry.
You can have use the same USB drive to lock/unlock many computers you own or have spare keys in case of lost. Watch the video [courtesy of Lifehacker] for more.
Other features include:
- PREDATOR can send alert messages by Email.
- PREDATOR can take a picture of the person who tries to use your computer and attach it to an email or upload it to a remote server.
- PREDATOR records all security-related events in a log file: start, alarms, stop. By reading this log, you will know if intruders have tried to use your computer while you have been away.
- PREDATOR can replicate this log on your Twitter account, allowing you to remotely monitor all access-control activity on your PC.
- PREDATOR frequently changes the security codes recorded on your USB drive. If an intruder manages to copy your stick, this copy will not work because the codes on your own stick will have changed in the meantime.
- PREDATOR disables the Windows task manager when you unplug the USB drive. Nobody can stop it with Ctrl-Alt-Del.
- PREDATOR disables the CD Autorun feature in Windows, to prevent intruders from running malware on specially crafted CDs.
- PREDATOR lets you regain control of your computer if you lose your stick: when you start the software for the first time, you set a password that will unlock your session if your USB drive is not available.
- PREDATOR can sound an audible alarm if somebody enters an invalid password.
- And finally,PREDATOR can protect several PCs with the same USB flash drive, e.g. your home and office computers.